Posts

July to October 2021 in pictures

Plastic or perhaps rubber Cheese plant doing a saucy dance behind privvy glass..
Reborn! KMZ Helios lens, rejazzed and looking gorgeous!
My hands don’t like the shape of things anymore.
Project unto me..
Everyone’s got the right to have a screw loose or missing, just so long as you keep it in the bag..
American feline babe.
Americans in America doing American things.
Dean’s final selection. projected film is VERY special!
Dean sorts through slides using a very fancy lens as a proof loupe!
Vashon views.
Om the faery, commin’ back from the Vash…
Depleted light reception plates formerly attached to trees.
Miss McFluff
Last of the summer love.

Passion for Vashon

Im spending the weekend with a friend, helping him with printing images. In the magical surrounds of Vashon Island. Natural silence.

Looking out towards Maury Island, to the right is Quartermaster bay. It reminds me of West Cork, or Goa, or Mt Nebo, Brisbane…

That be rain,

Ifi drizzled earlier, and the bags collected about 2mm. So my hypothesis is that they are waterproof.

Its grown a bit since last week..

Well at least it’s now actually a ‘bag’, and frankly I’m pretty happy with it as a proof of concept.

Ifi have some body pains today, and everything got rained on, which has put the kibosh on further construction.

Meanwhile, I finally figured out what was stopping me from getting an image from the DJI (RSC2) Raven Eye transmitter with my little A6400. Bluetooth interferes with it, but turning it off on your camera isn’t enough if you are a geotag fan like me. 10 years ago they stopped putting GPS units in the cameras themselves which propped an industry in GPS dongles. FF that decade and phones have taken their place. When I shoot a still image the camera reaches out to the phone for the geolocation at the moment the image is being written to the memory card, which is done over Bluetooth. So you can’t have both, and I don’t think it’s a DJI issue, I think it’s Sony.

Thats an awful image of a cool thing.

Cornering

Slow going over the last few days. My energy level hoses, may have a kink somewhere, or maybe the world accidentally parked her car on it or something. Anyway, I caved in, and cut a jig out of plywood and got gluing earlier, on the parts which will turn it from a concept into a vessel.

First of the enclosing bonds.

Should I mention that I’m actually a touch, proud, of this here invention? All my prep was bang on, my initial design was also bang on, and whatever modifications I made along the way have really just been indulgent.

If I were to make something like this for sale, it would be simpler, maybe one or two additional parts, like a liner material, I think I’d have to charge more than I’d like to pay for one, given the reasonable options on the ‘zon (that mega online retailer’s last syllable, just because I don’t want the algo’s to see it in my post and them find a way to saturate me with nonsense). Why then am I making my own, if the zon ones are so ‘resonable’? Challenge, see how well I can follow my own instructions, nothing else on the market as tough and fits exactly what these do.

Before I close the bag up, I need to put in the corners, and consider my center strategy.
I literally just invented these, measured, cut & sanded.

Back in the Game

I had a supplychain disruption Last week, and settled it on Friday, which allowed me to get into the more intimidating part of the build.

Intimidating because in building down one side first, soI can have more control in the corners, by working on the inside of them.

The inside of a corner.
The tools are heavier than the materials so they have to be propped with struts, in this case a plywood panel.
Testing an internal structure to clamp on, is essential.
2nd corner, being propped with a Jorgensen rapid clamp, to hold my pony clamps..

3 minutes

It’s almost noon, anyway hour ago I went outside to check something and to plan a quick walking route around the yard with the new doohicky, but in just three minutes I am heat saturated.

the doohicky

Great timing lead me to this device, and for those who dont know, it’s a camera stabilizer, or gimbal. It allows for smooth camera movement while filming. The box at the bottom is a screen with a recorder built in, because working with tiny inaccurate camera screens just isn’t an option when there’s more than one set of eyes on the job. The gimbal also charges the camera! The whole thing weighs about 5kg (I think), but because it’s balanced (you have to do that bit manually at the beginning), it’s very easy to hold, which is an added bonus.

The internet kids say that a day of working with these is tough on the upper body. That’s why I ordered a backbrace at the same time. Im hoping to use it in conjunction with a monopod and am considering a “fighting belt” -yes that’s a real thing, and it’s basically an Ernest Hemingway inspired cod-piece for getting fish out of the sea while angry at god.

hangin’ out with the tools in respectable temperatures

Bag burn

I had to stop working on it shortly after I started, today. It’s ferociously hot here at the moment. So much so that all of my tool handles either started to sweat, melt or become too hot to use. Also the black tarp became too hot to handle even with gloves. The dinger says its 37.8 Celsius, which is about 5 more than is easy.

Noir Niagara. In this heat, the tape gum is actually flowing.

I do fully realize that despite it being a cheap project, my design would make this bag labor intensive and expensive.

Its interesting to construct a bag ‘outside in’ and have minimal panels. I like it.

Regardless, this project is a functional thing, and is a social media experiment, to see about doing this blog on the regular again. Because it’s a challenge and I think I need to.

75% of part one, done.
Thats the panel that will be secured to the back carrier.
Some the uncontrolled explosion of guts yet to be trained and glued.