That be rain,

Ifi drizzled earlier, and the bags collected about 2mm. So my hypothesis is that they are waterproof.

Its grown a bit since last week..

Well at least it’s now actually a ‘bag’, and frankly I’m pretty happy with it as a proof of concept.

Ifi have some body pains today, and everything got rained on, which has put the kibosh on further construction.

Meanwhile, I finally figured out what was stopping me from getting an image from the DJI (RSC2) Raven Eye transmitter with my little A6400. Bluetooth interferes with it, but turning it off on your camera isn’t enough if you are a geotag fan like me. 10 years ago they stopped putting GPS units in the cameras themselves which propped an industry in GPS dongles. FF that decade and phones have taken their place. When I shoot a still image the camera reaches out to the phone for the geolocation at the moment the image is being written to the memory card, which is done over Bluetooth. So you can’t have both, and I don’t think it’s a DJI issue, I think it’s Sony.

Thats an awful image of a cool thing.

It’s Friday

So this has been super indulgent design and preparation…

However, all good things come to and end, and give way to even better shit. Like gloooiiinnng! Sticky glue time!

Glue strategy with copious quantities masking tape.

Because I am using machine belt marinated in shrink wrap, I’ll have to form the corners, with a heat gun, when the track cover piece is attached. So my thinking was to put corner areas where the track cover piece, won’t be bonded, and will be able to conform better to the rigidity of the belt.

I should mention that apart from the Black tarp material, everything else I already had. I did buy the roller, a roll of masking tape, and 6 pony hand clamps which were on sale.

Ornj tools are more inspiring.

I’m glad I thought about things ahead of time. I started the gluing process in the middle of the structure and am working outward on the distinct chance I will have screwed up a measurement and have to work it out, and to my mind working with a solid anchor point at the start, makes the most sense to me.

The Ornj tools photobombing again..
Nice thing about fabric, is that you can get your clamps in close to the action.

Necessity is the mother of

..Invention, as the adage goes, and of course, it’s true.

I recently had a theft and assault event leave me with a sore hand and my bike panniers being stolen, along with a scuzzy rainjacket and two well used and memorably scuzzy face masks. My bike light too. It’s the masks though, they had special sentimental and religious significance for me.

Needless to say that my brain went into construction mode and I found a company called MyTee who distribute (or manufacture) tarp to trucking companies and as such I can get oceans of my favorite material for .25 what local area dealers were willing to sell me a chunk of it. This is probably a well guarded secret in certain circles..

My brain works in such a way that I dream the final product and I already know what I need, to do it. The digits will come later, I know what I need the thing I’m making, to do; and I deconstruct my idea backwards until I reach a point where my hands catch up to my brain.

Invention had most of the tools I knew I’d need to build a set of panniers and finish up a bunch of other bag ideas that I cut but have been waiting to bond.

I use the industry standard Vinyl seement as ‘muricans calls it. In just gonna call it glue. HH-66, it’s amazing. It stinks something awful to ladies, but blokes like me smear it on before going dancing.

AFAIA no bike pannier maker makes a bag that is designed specifically to hold a fully crammed average brown paper 17x12x7 grocery bag which is waterproof and/or has a lid.

Considerations include: Material integrity and how much support I may need to design into the structure. Construction process and how I may need to build a brace to hold the folds I’m imposing on the material. This roasting hot weather and how awesome it is when the material is soft, can be formed and trained with a roller and tape, and that the HH-66 behaves like spring breakers in heat.

The basic design is in, now it’s time to play with the material and get a feel for how things may come together as the project progresses.
The dream becomes reality when my pencil hits the page.
I’m fervently pro metric system, and yet I built this entire project on SAE thinking. Every available component comes in SAE and I’m used to it and even have a few layers deep of fractions that I can mentally arithmetic with.
‘Halped’ of course, by Ada the cat, who just had to vet the very warm ‘new surface’ for a swim.
Testing how well my decade old tin of glue with a hem.
Ada since early childhood I have craved a metal hand roller. I finally got one, and it’s everything I ever wished for.
So I invented the tape batten.. I use it to enforce material rigidity so I can form a crease or fold in material that would otherwise just not play nice. Anyway it works. Really well.