It’s almost noon, anyway hour ago I went outside to check something and to plan a quick walking route around the yard with the new doohicky, but in just three minutes I am heat saturated.
Great timing lead me to this device, and for those who dont know, it’s a camera stabilizer, or gimbal. It allows for smooth camera movement while filming. The box at the bottom is a screen with a recorder built in, because working with tiny inaccurate camera screens just isn’t an option when there’s more than one set of eyes on the job. The gimbal also charges the camera! The whole thing weighs about 5kg (I think), but because it’s balanced (you have to do that bit manually at the beginning), it’s very easy to hold, which is an added bonus.
The internet kids say that a day of working with these is tough on the upper body. That’s why I ordered a backbrace at the same time. Im hoping to use it in conjunction with a monopod and am considering a “fighting belt” -yes that’s a real thing, and it’s basically an Ernest Hemingway inspired cod-piece for getting fish out of the sea while angry at god.
I had to stop working on it shortly after I started, today. It’s ferociously hot here at the moment. So much so that all of my tool handles either started to sweat, melt or become too hot to use. Also the black tarp became too hot to handle even with gloves. The dinger says its 37.8 Celsius, which is about 5 more than is easy.
I do fully realize that despite it being a cheap project, my design would make this bag labor intensive and expensive.
Regardless, this project is a functional thing, and is a social media experiment, to see about doing this blog on the regular again. Because it’s a challenge and I think I need to.
So this has been super indulgent design and preparation…
However, all good things come to and end, and give way to even better shit. Like gloooiiinnng! Sticky glue time!
Because I am using machine belt marinated in shrink wrap, I’ll have to form the corners, with a heat gun, when the track cover piece is attached. So my thinking was to put corner areas where the track cover piece, won’t be bonded, and will be able to conform better to the rigidity of the belt.
I should mention that apart from the Black tarp material, everything else I already had. I did buy the roller, a roll of masking tape, and 6 pony hand clamps which were on sale.
I’m glad I thought about things ahead of time. I started the gluing process in the middle of the structure and am working outward on the distinct chance I will have screwed up a measurement and have to work it out, and to my mind working with a solid anchor point at the start, makes the most sense to me.
Day 2 of the sprawling and indulgent design and construction of my new panniers. I’m inventing as I go, and making pretty notes with my own particular variant of handwriting. In B or B2 0.3. On 5mm dot grid. Claire Fontaine or Rhodia, only, ever. Pentel ORENZ NERO, the most inspirational creative weapon I’ve ever used. Cameras not withstanding.
Anyway, moggy, numero fluff, came to hang out with me in the heat, to halp out with things like materials testing in regards to thermal conductivity and fluff characteristics in hot weather, and I there quality assurance measures and tool control.
Last night I watched an industrial designer put his engineering mind to work by bringing a medical project to life on the Milling Machine. A complete pleasure to watch as he weaved the machine like a pen around the product as it was taking shape in front of us.